You may be trying to access this site from a secured browser on the server. Please enable scripts and reload this page.
Turn on more accessible mode
Turn off more accessible mode
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Turn off Animations
Turn on Animations
Mysore Medical College & Research Institute
Government of Karnataka
Vision & Mission
Govt. order & Circulars
Tenders & Notifications
Acts & Rules
Mysore Medical College, Mysore, first institution of its kind in Karnataka & 7th in the country founded by His Highness Krishnarajendra Wodeyar IV, Since its inception in 1924, it remained the sole institution imparting Medical Education in the erstwhile state of Mysore for more than 3 decades. The alumni of the college are doing yeomen service to sick and needy in the Country and Abroad. They have brought laurels both to the college and to the country. Other Medical Colleges that sprang up later have been flourishing under the leadership of the alumni of this college. Thus we could claim that this institution is the mother of all other medical colleges in the state.
The college was established in 1924 at Bangalore, was affiliated to Mysore University. In 1930 it was shifted to Mysore and was under the dual control of University of Mysore and Government of Mysore. In 1958, Health department of Government of Mysore took over the complete administration. This prestigious institution celebrated its Platinum Jubilee in December 1999. The most memorable event of this Millenium is the construction of Platinum Jubilee Auditorium with the generous contributions from the Alumni who are residing in North America.
Many alumni’s of this institution have occupied Chairs like Vice-chancellor, Director of Medical Education etc. The institution is bagging many awards, medals in academic activities at the University level, State & Inter state level.
The college is running both Undergraduate and Postgraduate courses in 14 different specialities. The annual intake of UG is 100 and PG is 89. Six Paramedical courses are run with an intake of 40 per year in each course. The average number of out patients seen in the three associated hospitals – (K.R. Hospital - 1050 beds, Cheluvamba - 420 beds, and P.K.T.B. & C.D. Hospital - 470 beds) is around 1900/day. On an average about 50-60 surgeries and more than 500 investigations are being performed everyday. The special clinics for Diabetes, Asthama are run on 2 days/a week.
The library is too housed in a separate spacious building. The total number of books in the Library is around 29000. Nearly 79 Foreign and 26 Indian journals of various medical specialities are available. In addition, to make the students aware of advanced technology, CD-ROM, internet facilities and Multimedia projector are made available. Video libraries with more than 300 medical educative video cassettes are available in the library.
The Medical Council of India inspected the college during 1949 and accorded recognition to the MBBS degree awarded by University of Mysore, with retrospective effect from 1933. MBBS degree from Mysore Medical College is also recognised by General Medical Council of United Kingdom and South East Asian Medical Council. The name has figured in the W.H.O. directory of Medical Institutions. During 1997, the degree got recognition by the Irish Medical Council of Ireland also. IGNOU has recognised the institution as SDC (Skill Developing Centre) for conduct of PGDMCH Course.
The institute has 4 separate Hostels - UG men and women, PG men and women. All the hostels are provided with solar water heater and cooking gas facility.
In 2000, tele-medicine was introduced at our college. Computerization of various sectors like library, college office is also being done. With the help of generous donations from one of the alumnus namely Dr. Ramachandra N. Moorthy, a CD library was established during Dec. 2001 wherein both the staff and students have access for all the recent developments in the field of medical education.
Several workshops (C.M.E.s), seminars, guest lectures and symposiums are being organised by this college with the aim of improving the academic standards of the faculty and students.
In the year 1996, the MCI which inspected the college noted that there is deficiency of the teaching staff. Because of this, the MCI reduced the intake of UG students to 100 per year.
The Government, subsequently, to streamline the recruitment process, accorded Autonomous state to the institute and renamed the college as “Mysore Medical College & Research Institute” in the month of January 2007. By this method, it is proposed to recruit the staff to the institute so as to meet MCI requirements and also to enhance the intake capacity.
Last Updated -
Content Owned and Maintained by :
Mysore Medical College & Research Institute
Designed and Hosted by
Center for e-Governance
©2015, All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer:Please note that this page also provides links to the websites/ web pages of Govt. Ministries/Departments/Organisations.
The content of these websites are owned by the respective organisations and they may be contacted for any further information or suggestion.
Terms & Conditions