Sericulture is an agro-based, labour intensive, export oriented commercial activity.
It is an important cottage industry in Karnataka. Sericulture which was considered
as a subsidiary occupation in the past is being considered as major activity.
Role of the Department
The following are the important services being rendered by the Department
- Multiplication and supply of high yielding mulberry varieties
and Silkworm races to farmers.
- Providing technical guidance and training in sericultural activities
namely Mulberry cultivation, silkworm rearing and silk reeling etc., providing benefits
under various developmental programmes to the sericulturists and reelers.
- Facilitate marketing of cocoons and raw silk.
- Ensure reasonable price to cocoons and silk yarn
- Liaison with financial institutions to obtain loans for sericulture
activities to sericulturists and reelers.
- Motivate adoption of improved and proven technologies to bring
down cost of production by increasing yield, production, productivity and quality
of cocoon and silk.
- Providing subsidy for installation of automatic reeling machines
to produce International gradable silk.
- Strengthening sericultural research and development activities