Education takes the top priority in the developmental programmes of the Social Welfare Department.
The literacy rate among SC's is quite low. In order to increase the literacy levels and to make SC children educated the Department is implementing several Educational Schemes, which are listed as follows:-
- Nursery-Cum-Women-Welfare Centres
- RESIDENTIAL SCHOOLS
- NAVODAYA AND MORARJI DESAI RESIDENTIAL SCHOOLS
- ADMISSION OF Scheduled Caste students to Ramakrishna Ashrama School, Mysore/ Janaseva Vidya Kendra at Chennenahalli, Bangalore / J.S.S. Residential School, Suttur Nanjuangud Taluk.
In rural areas students living in remote villages find it difficult to continue education, as they have to travel long distance to attend schools and colleges. Therefore, it results in dropouts. Majority of the SC families are very poor and are unable to provide required facilities for the education of their children. Therefore, in order to extend good facilities to the students and to discourage dropouts and also in order to educate and empower SC boys & girls, the Government is running several Pre-Matric and Post-Matric hostels through out the State. In addition to this, several voluntary agencies are also encouraged to run hostels where ever necessary, by giving them only food charges, building rent and honorarium to the staff. These are called Grant-In-Aid Hostels.
Admissions to all hostels are made through a selection committee at the Taluk level. The Taluk level committee is as follows,
- Executive Officer of Taluk Panchayat- Chairman
- Thasildhar of the Taluk-Member
- Block Education Officer- Member
- Medical Officer of the local Government Hospital- Member
- Taluk Social Welfare Officer- Member Secretary
- PRE-MATRIC HOSTELS
- GRANT-IN-AID TO PRE-MATRIC HOSTELS
- POST-MATRIC HOSTELS (COLLEGE HOSTELS)
In addition to the educational schemes implemented for the welfare of SC student award of Scholarships constitutes an important aspect of Social Welfare Department. Award of scholarships was introduced as an incentive to encourage and facilitate students for further studies. Such scholarships are being awarded from I standard till the completion of their studies to all SC students. These scholarships include
- INCENTIVE SCHOLARSHIPS FROM I TO IV STD. STUDENTS.
- INCENTIVE SCHOLARSHIPS TO HIGH SCHOOL GOING GIRLS.
- PRE-MATRIC SCHOLARSHIPS.
- MERIT SCHOLARSHIPS.
- POST-MATRIC SCHOLARSHIPS (GOI)
- PRE-MATRIC SCHOLARSHIPS TO THE CHILDREN OF THOSE PARENTS WHO ARE ENGAGED IN UN-CLEAN OCCUPATION.
- STATE POST-MATRIC SCHOLARSHIP.
- PRIZE MONEY TO MERITORIOUS STUDENTS.
- CASH PRIZE FOR RANK HOLDERS.
- FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE TO SC, M.Phil and PhD STUDENTS IN KARNATAKA.
- BOOK BANK SCHEMES
- EXTRA STUDY TOUR CHARGES.
- FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE TO THE SC STUDENTS WHO ARE SELECTED BY THE FOREIGN UNIVERSITIES FOR HIGHER EDUCATION.