Origin of the Department of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Services in Karnataka
The Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Sciences Department traces its origin to the days of His Highness Chikkadevaraja Wodeyar when an establishment by name "Benne Chavadi" existed (1672-1704). During Tipu Sultan's time the name was changed to Amrut Mahal. In 1915-1916 the control of this department was given to Agriculture Department and the Animal Husbandry was placed under a Livestock Expert. In 1945 the department was separated from Agriculture and became an independent department of Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Sciences in Mysore State
The Fisheries Department was later brought together with Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science Department and thereafter at Secretariat level the Department of Animal Husbandry, Veterinary Sciences & Fisheries came into existence.
The Department is incharge of implementing schemes for the development and improvement of livestock as well as health care of animals, dairy development schemes and schemes for increased fish production, marketing welfare schemes for fisherfolk, development of fishing harbours etc.,