The project has a primary focus on reduction of drudgery for women. Special attention will be given to small and marginal farmers and the landless as key beneficiaries. The project seeks to improve the lot of these disadvantaged groups in the following ways:
Women and Children:
· The project seeks to reduce the drudgery for women and children by providing access to clean drinking water as well as cooking gas to provide a smokeless environment, leading to improvement in health of women and children.
· Create income earning opportunities for women through land based activities such as decentralised nurseries, cultivation of medicinal plants and also development of skills.
· Empowerment through reservation of 30% of seats in various committees to women.
Small and Marginal Farmers:
· Provision of irrigation facilities to at least half an acre of dry land to each of the households in the village
· Capacity development for improved incomes through practice of improved agriculture.
· A tradeable water rights equivalent to other land holding members of the village.
· Employment opportunities created due to improved agriculture in the village, bio-energy service operation, forestry activities and in agro and village industries.
· Representation in various village level institutions involved in management of bio-energy services, biomass development and the end-use systems.