The Bangalore Medical College & Research
Institute started as a private Medical college in the year 1955 by Mysore
Education Society. The Founders of this Society were Dr. R. Shivaram, Dr.
Mekhri, Dr. B.K. Narayana Rao and Dr. B.V. Ramaswamy. In the year 1957 it was
handed over to the then Government of Mysore and was affiliated to Mysore
University and then on to the Bangalore University. In the year 1996 it got
affiliated to the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences.
Bangalore Medical College & Research Institute has MCI recognition for 150
Undergraduate, 75 Postgraduate Degree, 71 PG Diploma seats, 2 Super Speciality
seats one each for M.Ch Urology & M.Ch Plastic Surgery. MCI has
inspected for recognition of 3 more Super Speciality courses DM (Neurology), DM
(Cardio Thoracic Surgery) and M.Ch (Surgical Gastroenterology). Bangalore
Medical College & Research Institute has Fellowship programmes in Vitreo
Retina, Surgical Gastroenterology, Neurology and Dermato Surgery with 2 seats each.
Simultaneously running in the Institution also runs Para Medical courses.
The College has a Central library comprising of several standard books
and annually subscribes to about 120 journals (Foreign & Indian) each year.