NATIONAL MENTAL HEALTH PROGRAMME
As per the NSSO Survey currently 291 persons per lakh of population is suffering from severe to profound hearing loss. Large percentage is children between the age of 0-14 years. Karnataka Population as per 2015 census is 65.06 Million Percentage of Disabled for Deafness needs to be surveyed.br>
GOALS / OBJECTIVES
1. To prevent the avoidable hearing loss due to injury or disease.
2. Early detection diagnosis and treatment.
3. Medically/Surgically rehabilitate persons of all age groups.
4. To develop & strengthen institutional capacity.
5. Capacity building at the district hospitals to ensure better care, creating awareness & sensitization.
LONG TERM OBJECTIVE:
To prevent and control major causes of hearing impairment and deafness, so as to reduce the total disease burden by 25% of the existing burden by the end of 12th Five Year Plan as per GoI guidelines.
PROGRAMME EXECUTION & EXPANSION
The Programme was a 100% Centrally Sponsored Scheme during 11th Five Year Plan. However, in as per the 12th Five Year Plan, the Centre and the States will have to pool in resources, as per financial norms of NHM. The Programme was earlier covered only in 18 districts, now as per 12th plan it is expanded to all the 30 districts.
Level I: Sensitization and Awareness of the doctors and Audiologists at the Medical College level.
Level II: Training of District Hospital ENT Doctors and Audiologists.
Level III: Sensitization Training of Pediatricians and Obstetricians.
Level IV: Training of the doctors at the Primary Health Centre and Community Heath Centre, RBSK Team.
Level V: Training of Public Health Nurses, Multi-Purpose Workers male and female (ANMs), Anganwadi Supervisors (AWW Supervisor) and Child Development Project Officers (CDPO).
Level VI: Training of Health workers at Grass root level: Anganawadi workers (AWW), ASHAs, TBAs.
Level VII: Training of the Primary School teachers and Parents of Hearing/Speech impaired children at the village level.
A budgetary provision of Rs.10.00 lakhs per district has been made for above seven level training programmes
1. Require to train manpower, Capacity building.
2. Medical & Surgical management (training for ENT surgeons for advanced procedures).
3. Providing hearing aid & speech therapy for the needy in association with MoSJ&E, Re-habilitation, and DDRC.
4. Good IEC activities to create awareness of the programme at the gross root level and training of all personnel involved.