some Horticulture crops were grown in the state since time immemorial,
their cultivation on commercial scale started just two and a half
century before. The first acknowledgeable credit for initiation of
cultivation of Horticulture crops in the state undoubtedly goes to Hyder
Ali and Tipu Sultan. At about 1760, Hyder Ali started a small royal
orchard near Bangalore Fort, which was called by the name Lalbagh. After
him, Tipu Sultan improved this garden by making systematic layouts and
undertaking comprehensive planting programme. He collected several
important native and exotic species of flowers, fruits, vegetables and
other plants, obtained from several far off places such as Malacca, Isle
of France, Oman, Arabia, Persia, Turkey, Zanzibar, France and other
European countries. At Srirangapatna, his capital, he had established
another garden of fame by the same name as Lalbagh, in which also he had
introduced several ornamental and horticulture plants. At Ganjam, near
Srirangapatna, he had developed a vast Fig orchard. Several of the
fruits species, which Tipu Sultan had introduced then, eventually became
the commercial crops of the then Mysore province, and to quote a few
are: Fig, Mulberry (for Sericulture), Grapes, Pomegranates, Rose,
several European vegetable crops etc.
the fall of Tipu Sultan in the year 1799, the Lalbagh was taken over by
the English and as far as can be traced, it was owned by a military
botanist, Major Waugh and remained in his possession until 1819. Then he
gifted this garden to the Marques Warren Hastings, the Governor General
of the East India Company, who in turn appointed Dr.Wallich, the
Superintendent of the Royal Botanical Garden, Calcutta, as the in charge
Deputy Superintendent of the Lalbagh Botanical gardens. This
arrangement continued till 1831.
the British usurpation of the province of Mysore in 1831, Lalbagh
passed into the hands of Sir Mark Cubbon, the Chief Commissioner of
Mysore. In 1839, the affairs of the Lalbagh Botanical Gardens were
transferred to the Agri-Horticultural Society, Calcutta. The Society
ceased to exist in 1842 and the Garden once again came under the
management of the Chief Commissioner until 1856.
August 1856, Lalbagh was made the Government Botanical Garden, becoming
entirely a government establishment. A committee with the Secretary to
the Commissioner, the Superintendent, Bangalore Division and Dr.
Kirkpatrick, was set up to take measures to preserve all the interesting
botanical species; and to make the garden attractive. Much work was
done in the next two years. After a lapse of two years, in 1858, Sir
William Hooker, Director of the Royal Botanical Gardens, Kew, selected
Mr. William New, as the Superintendent of the Lalbagh Botanical Garden.
real developmental works in Lalbagh started from the year 1874, when
John Cameron took charge of the garden. Vigorous and systematic
introduction and expansion of the garden took place during his tenure.
From original area of 45 acres, Lalbagh was expanded to 100 acres by the
turn of the 19th century. The renowned Glass House was
constructed his period in 1889. The credit of starting commercial
cultivation of several fruits, vegetables and plantation crops,
undoubtedly goes to John Cameron. His long term of office from 1874 to
1908, is regarded as the 'Golden Period' of plant introductions at
Krumbiegal assumed the charge of Lalbagh in 1908. He did memorable
works in Lalbagh, as well as Mysore State. Like his predecessor, he also
introduced several plant species, including Rome Beauty Apple. He
beautified Lalbagh with large number of native and exotic species and
gave special impetus to the creation of Park and Gardens in Bangalore
and Mysore cities, including the famous Brindavan Gardens at
Krishnarajasagara reservoir, near Mysore. He also started the Mysore
Horticulture Society, in 1912 and through this Society, started regular
Flower Shows at Lalbagh. He also opened the Bureau of Economic Plants
and Horticulture Training School. He served the Department for memorable
25 years and retired in the year 1932.
Javaraya took the charge of Lalbagh and Horticulture Development in the
Mysore state in 1932. He was trained in the Royal Botanical Garden at
Kew, London. He took up the all-round development of Horticulture in the
state. With the establishment of the Fruit Research Station at
Hesarghatta, Bangalore, in 1938, he was able to conduct many adaptive
research trials related to various fruit crops. The first Horticulture
farm was started at Maddur in 1942, to demonstrate the cultivation of
Horticulture crops and production of vegetable seeds and planting
material for the farmers. He retired from the service in 1944.
Javaraya, K.Nanjappa took over the charge of development of Lalbagh and
the Department of Horticulture and he also continued the legacy started
by his predecessors, and effected several developmental works.
Dr.M.H Marigowda took the charge of the post of the Superintendent of
Horticulture in Mysore, in 1951, the developmental works in the state
started with an unprecedented pace. In 1963, consequent to the
formation of the separate Department of Horticulture, he was elevated to
the post of the Director of Horticulture. Several schemes which were
earlier handled by the Agriculture Department, were transferred to this
newly created Department.
1965, the reorganization of the Department took place and several posts
were created in order to carry over the task of Horticulture
development in the state. Also, a large number of new scheme were
sanctioned. In 1956, as a result of reorganization of the state, the
Horticultural activities were extended to all the 19 districts. Thus,
he was responsible for elevating the minor Department of Horticulture to
a major Department.
his term, he took the Horticulture to the rural areas and to the common
man. He set into implementation of a unique pattern of Horticulture
development i.e, "4-Limbed Model of Horticulture". To
suit to this, he established the Horticulture Produce Co-operative
Marketing Society and the Nurserymen's Co-operative Society at
Bangalore. He started as many as 357 farms and nurseries all over the
state. His visualization of the farms and nurseries was in developing
them as progeny orchards, nursery centers and places of demonstration of
new crops and technology to the farmers. Seed testing, soil testing and
plant protection laboratories were started at Lalbagh by him. Several
park and gardens were laid out in different cities and towns of the
area of Lalbagh Botanical Garden was expanded to 240 acres and planted
with additional native and exotic species of plants during his period.
Dr. Marigowda was a staunch advocator of Dry Land Horticulture and
the principals and practices of these technologies were demonstrated in
most of the farms started by him. This inspired the farmers of the
state to practice Dry Land Horticulture on vast dry and drought prone
tracts of the state. Mixed cropping and intercropping's got special
fillip during his times. Thus, through multifarious achievements and
feats, the state of Karnataka became the "Horticultural State of India", and Dr. Marigowda's name became immortal in the annals of Horticulture development in Karnataka.