Annual Report 2012 – '13
Department of Science & Technology, Government of Karnataka establishedKarnataka Science and Technology Promotion Society (KSTePS) vide Memorandum No. ST 02 STS 2012 Dated November 22, 2012 with the following objectives:
- To serve as a mechanism to support the Department of Science & Technology in the preparation and implementation of its policy initiatives and act as a nodal agency for channelizing funding programs of the department.
- To coordinate all science and technology related activities which are catalyzed and supported by Department of Science & Technology and identify priority areas of science and technology which are useful for long term development of the state so as to develop core competency in such areas.
- To act as a nodal agency for the development of nano park and extend necessary support for promotion of nano science and technology and encourage investors and entrepreneurs.
- To co-ordinate and liaise with organisations of Government of India in working out collaborative and joint programmes in the field of science and technology.
- To organise, sponsor conferences, exhibitions, fairs, campaigns and symposia towards development of science and technology.
Governing Body of this autonomous society is Chaired by the Principal Secretary to Government, Department of Information Technology, Bio Technology and Science & Technology, while Special Director (Technical), DST is the Member Secretary. The Governing Body has a total of nine members.
This society was registered as an autonomous body as per the Karnataka Societies Registration Act 1960 on February 4, 2013. The society is functioning from January 1, 2013 in an area of 5000 sq.ft in the premises of Karnataka Rajya Vijnana Parishat, Vijnana Bhavan, 24/2, 21st Main Road, Near BDA Complex, Banashankari 2nd Stage Bangalore 560070.
A grant of Rs 50.00 lakhs was provided to KSTePS as the society was established towards the end of 2012-13 for procurement of necessary infrastructure/facilities and administrative expenses. Expenditure incurred is as follows:
|Sl. No.||Purpose/Items||Total Amount (in Rs)|
|2||Administrative Expenses (Office Rent and others)||13,66,440.00|
|||Grants for the year 2012 – 13||50,00,000.00|
M/s Nirmithi Kendra, Bangalore (Rural), a Government of Karnataka undertaking has been entrusted to provide necessary infrastructure for the office.
Balance amount of Rs 3,67,560/- will be utilised during 2013-14 for procurement of additional necessary infrastructures.
Presently, three retired persons have been appointed on contract basis for KSTePS. For the implementation of the aims and objectives of the society, necessary additional manpower will be appointed in a phased manner.
Government of Karnataka entered into a bilateral agreement with Israel for cooperation in the field of industrial and technological research and development, which is referred to as Karnataka –Israel Initiative for Industrial Research & Development (KI3RD) on March 21, 2013 with the goal of supporting joint industrial R&D projects between Israeli and Karnataka-based companies. This agreement will be promoted and implemented by Karnataka Science and Technology Promotion Society (KSTePS) and Karnataka State Council for Science and Technology (KSCST), autonomous organisations under the Department of Science and Technology on behalf of Government of Karnataka while MATIMOP – Israeli Industry Centre for R&D on behalf of Govt. of Israel.
As the objectives of the society are mainly oriented towards planning, monitoring, assessment and evaluation of programs being implemented by various organisations under the Department of Science and Technology, KSTePS itself has not been involved in implementation of any schemes/programs.