- Advocate – 1952-70:- High Courts of Bombay & Karnataka
- Advocate General of Karnataka – 1968-70
b) Important Offices Held:
(i) Judge, High Court of Karnataka – 1970-83
(ii) Chief Justice of High Court of Karnataka – 1983-85
(iii) Chief Justice of High Court of Kerala – 1985-91
(iv) Chairman of Central Administrative Tribunal – 1991-94
(v) Member of National Human Rights Commission – 1994-99
(vi) Hon. Chairman, International School of Dravidian Linguistics, Trivandrum – 1995-99.
(vii) Chairman of Arrears Committee appointed by Government of India to recommend measures to reduce arrears in Courts:
- Report submitted in 1989 was accepted and on the basis of the report, Civil Procedure Code was amended.
(viii) Chairman, Committee on Reforms of Criminal Justice System - Appointed by Government of India 2000-03:
- Recommending revolutionary measures for reform.
- On the basis of the Report, Criminal Procedure Code is being Amended
(ix) Chairman, Karnataka-Maharashtra Border Dispute Special Legal Advisory Committee.
(x) President, Dakshina Bharat Hindi Prachar Sabha, Chennai from 2009.
(xi) Chairman, Law Commission of Karnataka from 14.01.2009 to 15.01.2014.