DR. JUSTICE S.R. NAYAK
LAW COMMISSION OF KARNATAKA
(Former Chief Justice of Chhattisgarh
Karnataka State Human Rights Commission)
|Date and Place of Birth|
01-01-1945 in Naadumaskeri Village, Kumta Taluk, Uttara Kannada District, Karnataka State in an Agriculturist & Freedom Fighters' Family.
Late Smt. Nagamma Rama Nayak and Late Sri. Rama Ranga Nayak
i. B.Sc from Mysore University.
ii. B.G.L., LL.B., and LLM (Industrial Law & Administrative Law) from Bangalore University. Throughout his educational career, he secured ranks, medals, scholarships etc.
|Date of enrollment as Advocate & positions held till his elevation as Judge of High Court|
- Enrolled as an Advocate on the roll of Karnataka State Bar Council on 1st March, 1974 and mainly practiced in High Court of Karnataka till his elevation to the Bench of High Court of Karnataka as a Judge w.e.f. 25th February, 1994. He was junior colleague of late Sri. M. Gopalkrishna Shetty, Former Chairman of Bar Council of Karnataka and later junior colleague of late Sri. L.G. Havanur, Senior Advocate and Chairman of the First Karnataka Backward Classes Commission.
- During this period he also served as Part-time Professor of Law in BMS College of Law and SLSRC Havanur College of Law, Bangalore.
- He also served as Director-Secretary of Socio-Legal Services & Research Centre (registered), Bangalore, between 1979 and 1994.
- He also served as the President of the Association of GPF Employees, Karnataka Region, Bangalore.
- He also served as a Member of Executive Committee of the Advocates Association, Bangalore.
|Details as a Judge and the Chief Justice of High Court|
i. He was elevated to the Bench of Karnataka High Court as a Judge and he assumed the office on 25th February, 1994. Later, he was transferred to Andhra Pradesh High Court.
ii. He assumed the office of the Judge of Andhra Pradesh High Court on 21/03/1994 and served there as a Judge till 01/01/2003.
iii. During this period, he also served as Director and President of the Andhra Pradesh Judicial Academy.
iv. He was re-transferred to Karnataka High Court where he assumed the office on 02/01/2003 and worked till 16/11/2005. During this period he also served as the Acting Chief Justice of Karnataka.
v. He was elevated as the Chief Justice of Chhattisgarh and he assumed the office there on 17/11/2005 and retired as the Chief Justice w.e.f. 01-01-2007. During this period, he also served as the Chancellor of Justice Hidayutullah National Law University, Raipur.
vi. As a Judge and Chief Justice of High Courts in Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Chhattisgarh States, he handed down more than 4000 reported judgments in various Law Journals.
|As a Chairperson of Karnataka State Human Rights Commission, Bangalore.|
After his retirement as the Chief Justice of Chhattisgarh, he was appointed as the Founder Chairperson of Karnataka State Human Rights Commission and he assumed the said office on 25th July, 2007 and he demitted office on 25/07/2012 on completion of five years tenure.
|As the Chairman of Law Commission of Karnataka, Bangalore.|
He was appointed as the Chairman of the Law Commission of Karnataka and he assumed the office of the Chairman on 27th June, 2014.
The Law Commission of Karnataka under the chairmanship of His Lordship has prepared number of Reports on various subjects of general importance and present day relevance such as Ombudsman Institution in Karnataka, Prevention of Evil, Inhuman and Superstitious Practices, Regulating and Discouraging Luxurious Marriages, Streamlining and Regulating Delegated Legislation in Karnataka, Extending Human Rights and Fundamental Rights to Transgender Persons by inclusive definition of "Gender" in our laws etc.
|Other positions recently held by him.|
i) Chairperson of the Ethical Committee of the Regional Occupational Health Centre (Southern) constituted by the Indian Council of Medical Research, New Delhi.
ii) External Member of the Board of Studies of Human Rights and Duties Education of Shri Venkateshwara University, Tirupati.
iii) Chairman of the Expert Committee constituted by Bangalore University to finalize names for awarding Honorary Doctorate Degree at the Annual Convocation.
In addition, Dr. Justice S.R.Nayak is awarded with hundreds of Awards, Prasasthies and Felicitations by various organizations, Institutions and general public.