News & Events
Under each zone of Minor Irrigation department the following wings functions
- Administrative Section
- Accounts Section
- Technical Section
- Design Cell
- Statistical Cell
The activity of each section is as below.
The Chief Engineer is the head of the Minor Irrigation (South) zone and has a supporting working staff of 676 as against the sanctioned strength of 822. Out of this, the number of Group A officers actually working were 56, under group B it was 129 under Group C officials were 364 and Group D it was 127.
The Administration section is under the control of the Registrar, who deals with all administrative aspects relating to service matters, insurance records maintenance, transfers, purchase of stationeries, enquires, settlement of electricity and water bills and contract appointments.
Further, office of the Chief Engineer, Minor Irrigation South zone is considered as Public Authority under Right to Information Act, 2005.
The Chief Engineer is the head of the Minor Irrigation (North) zone and has a supporting working staff of 821, as against the sanctioned strength of 945,out of this No. of employees working under each group are mentioned as below:
Group A – 62, Group B-159, Group C- 442, Group D – 158
The Administration section is under the control of the Registrar, who deals with all administrative aspects relating to service matters. Records maintenance, transfer and postings of the officers & officials made by the Cadre Management Authority implementing the orders, Pay and Allowance of the staff, sanction of periodical increments, TBA's etc., to the Non Gazetted Officials and other correspondence related to thereof. Purchase of stationeries to the routine office works and sanction to R.S.L. for the divisions. The correspondence of Disciplinary Cases, framing of charges submission of records to the Enquiry Officer through the presenting officer as appointed by the Government.
Further, office of the Chief Engineer, Water Resources department (Minor Irrigation) is considered as Public Authority under Right to Information Act, 2005.
The Accounts section is headed by an Accounts Officer, who deals with the following items of work.
- Preparation of budget estimates for both Plan and Non-plan schemes.
- Allocation of grants for both salary and maintenance.
- Monitoring of grant and outlays and NABARD reimbursement schemes.
- Reconciliation of Accounts of Central Office and sanctioning of Reserve Stock Limits (RSL).
- Finalisation of C & AG reports based on inspection reports and draft paras.
- Preparation of pending bills.
The Executive Engineer (Designs) is overall in charge of technical aspects of works of Minor Irrigation Department and is assisted by 7 Technical Assistants (South Zone) in the rank of Assistant Executive Engineers.
The Superintending Engineer is overall in charge of Technical aspects of works of Minor Irrigation Department (North) Zone and is assisted by the (1) Deputy Chief Engineer (Executive Engineer) and (5) Technical Assistants.
The main items of Technical works include:
- Technical scrutiny of proposals pertaining to Minor Irrigation works.
- Finalisation of estimates and designs and Draft Tender Schedules.
- Estimates costing over Rs. 50 lakh to be placed before Technical Advisory Committee, constituted and established in the Minor Irrigation (South) zone and get the sanction.
- E - procurement
- Monitoring progress of various schemes.
- Monitoring NABARD works under RIDF
- Preparation of MMR and KDP progress reports.
- Preparation of Annual and five year plans.
- Preparation of Annual Report.
- Attending Estimate & Assurance Committee Meetings.
- Answering Legislative Assembly & Council Questions.
The responsibility of Designs cell is to:
- Process and finalise design aspects of works pertaining to Minor Irrigation projects.
- Verification and finalising of designs of Lift Irrigation Schemes and pumping machineries.
- Collecting and compiling reports of works coming under Cauvery & Krishna basins, which are needed for Inter State water disputes.
- Arrange for training to Technical Staff of Minor Irrigation department.
- Attend to the matters relating to vehicles belonging to Minor Irrigation (South) zone.
Since the establishment of Statistical Cell in 1988-89, in the Minor Irrigation (South) zone, Bangalore, it has carried out all Statistical nature of work regularly. The cell is fully funded by the Ministry of Water Resources, Government of India, under the Centrally Sponsored Scheme of Rationalisation of Minor Irrigation Statistics (RMIS). The total sanctioned post for the cell is 10, out of which 8 were working during the year 2010-11 and the remaining 2 posts were lying vacant.
In North Zone following staff deputed from the Statistical Department is working in this Zone
- Assistant Statistical Officer - Sanctioned Strength 3
Working Strength - 3
- Statistical Inspector - Sanctioned Strength 5
Working Strength - 5
With the 100 percent Central Assistance from Government of India, the Fourth Minor Irrigation Census work was conducted with reference year 2006-07 throughout the State successfully. The State and district reports of the census were published.
Apart from above work, the following activities are taken by the Cell
- Updated taluk wise, district wise and constituency wise of all types of Minor Irrigation schemes such as Tanks, Percolation Tanks, Lift Irrigation, Anicuts and Pickups, Barrages and SWED schemes in Karnataka as on 1st April 2010.
- Prepared taluk wise and district wise water rate reports for the year 2009-10 furnishing season wise and crop wise area irrigated during the year and demand raised.
- The combined Report of physical and financial progress achieved under Minor Irrigation schemes of Minor Irrigation (South) and (North) Zones were prepared in MPIC format and submitted to the Secretary, Water Resources Department (Minor Irrigation) every month for Review Meeting.
- The Quarterly progress reports on Developmental Program of Minor Irrigation Schemes dealt by other Departments such as NABARD, Rural Development Engineering Department, Karnataka State Co operative Agriculture and Rural Development Bank Ltd., Mines and Geology, besides pertaining to Minor Irrigation (North & South) Zones were submitted to Government of India.
- The Annual Administration Report was prepared which highlighted the activities performed in the entire zone during the year. The Reports were printed, Published and submitted to the Government.
- At the onset of Monsoon in the State, Weekly and Monthly reports on the status of M.I.Tanks, is being prepared and submitted to Government regularly.
- Attended the other miscellaneous works such as replies submitted to the Government in respect of L.A and L.C. questions received during the session pertaining to Statistical Cell.
Technical Appraisal Committee
Technical Appraisal Committee has been constituted by the government of Karnataka vide Govt. Odrder No: 243/ma saa vi 2010, Bangalore dated 27/4/2011 under the chairmanship of ST Chennabasappa secretary to government (Retd) Water Resources Department. The tenure of this committee is about 2 years from 20/1/2011. The purpose of this committee is as follows
- To verify the estimate amounting more than Rs 200.00 lakh
- To verify the DTP amounting more than Rs 250.00 lakhs
- To give suggestions and solutions to all the works which are in progress under critical circumstances
The list of technical Approval Committee members enclosed vide Annexure-1
|Sl No||Non Official Members||Designation|
|1||Sri S J Chennabasappa Secretary to Govt. (Retd) Water Resource Dept||Chairman|
|2||Sri C N Babu Chief Engineer (Retd)||Member|
|3||Sri R Basavanagowda Chief Engineer (Retd)||Member|
|4||Sri Basavaraj Kukunda Chief Engineer (Retd)||Member|
|5||Pro: Ramprasad Indian Institute of Science (Retd)||Member|
|6||Sri S N Prasad Chief Engineer (Retd)||Member|
|7||Sri P V Jatti Chief Engineer (Retd)||Member|
|8||Sri B A Reddy Chief Engineer (Retd)||Member|
|Sl No||Official Members||Designation|
|1||Chief Engineer, WRDO, Anandarao Circle, Bangalore||Member|
|2||Director, KERS, Krishnarajasagara, Mandya Dist||Member|
|3||Director (M&V), Central Water Commission Bangalore||Member|
|4||Special Officer and Ex-officio Under Secretary (KPWP&IWTD Finance Cell), Vidhanasoudha||Member|
|5||Chief Engineer MI (North), Bijapur||Member|
|5||Chief Engineer MI (South), Bangalore||Member Secretary|
Technical Committee has been constituted under the chairmanship of concerned Chief Engineer (South) Bangalore / Chief Engineer (North) Bijapur vide Government order no: sa ni e 76 ma saa vi 2010(2) Bangalore, Dated 18/5/2010. The main purpose of this committee is to verify all the MI works estimating above Rs 50.00 lakhs and up to 200.00 lakhs. Copy of Govt. Order
Technical Sub Committee
Sub Technical Committee has been constituted under the chairmanship of concerned Superintendent Engineer MI Circle Bangalore / Mysore / Belgaum / Gulbarga vide Government order no: sa ni e 76 ma saa vi 2010(2) Bangalore, Dated 18/5/2010. The purpose of this Sub Technical Committee is to verify all the MI works amounting above Rs 30.00 lakhs and up to 50.00 lakhs. Copy of Govt. Order
Technical advisory Committee for central assistance Schemes
Repair, Renovation and Restoration (RRR) of Water Bodies
RRR is a state sector scheme. Under this scheme 90% of the project cost will be available as central assistance for special category states. For non special category states the funding pattern will be 25% as central assistance and 75% by the state governments. For the purpose of Techno Economic appraisal of the project and to approve the DPR, it is indicated in the guidelines that a Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) is to be constituted and the committee shall also include representatives of CWC and CGWB. Copy of Govt. Order
Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Program (AIBP)
Government of India in letter no 10-2/2010-MI dated 03-01-2011 has desired to constitute Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) for the purpose of Techno Economic Appraisal of the project. Copy of Govt. Order