Department of Botany
Department of Botany was established in 1938 and was instrumental in the establishment of Microbiology, Biotechnology, Genetics and Sericulture departments.
Name of teacher
Dr. PRATHIBHA K Y
Head and Associate Professor
Dr. Jenifer Lolita
KhamerFerzanaBanu I S
Dr. Sureshkumar C
Dr. Lalitha V
Nalini T J
NATIONAL CONFERENCE ORGANISED
Title of conference
’National Conference on Emerging Trends in Medicinal Plants Research’’
UGC- New Delhi
8th and 9th October 2009
National Conference on “A Biotechnological Approaches in Medicinal and Aromatic Plant Research’’
UGC- New Delhi
21st and 22nd March 2013
ADD ON COURSE
Department of Botany is successfully conducting UGC sponsored Add-on-Course ( Five Years) entitled “Biodiversity and Role of Medicinal Plants in Primary Health Care” (Certificate Course) From 2010 under the stewardship of Prof.KhamerFerzanaBanu I S.
RESEARCH PROJECTS DETAILS
FACULTY PROFILEDr PRATHIBHA K Y M.Sc., M.Phil., PhD.,Associate Professorprathibha_ky@yahoo.co.in PAPERS PUBLISHED:
Title of Projects
Year of Sanction
Growth and Antioxidant Content Analysis of Compost and Bioinoculant Treated Medicinal Plants
UGC- New Delhi Minor Research Projects
Dr. Prathibha K Y
Biodegradation and utilization of keratinous waste
UGC-New Delhi, Minor Research Projects
Dr. Vishwanatha T
Antibacterial activity of
Study of rhizpshere and phyllosphere algae of certain medicinal plants
PROF.KHAMER FERZANA BANU I S
Understanding the role of noncoding rna’s involved in stress responses in commercially important oil groups
Antimicrobial activity of Gymnima sylvestre Rbr
DR. SURESHKUMAR C
- 1. K.Y.Prathibha, M. Sukhada , Shuba,” 2014. Development of abnormal somatic embryos in banana cultiver rasthali,nanjangud rasaballi,” international journal of bioinnovation,” J.Bio.Innov 3(2),pp;93-102.ISSN2277-8330.
- 2. Growth antioxidant and npk content analysis of compost ,bio fertilizers treated medicinal plant ALTERNTHERA SESSILIS , Asian jr. of microbiol.biotech.env.sc,VOL.15 NO.(1):2013:43-46,ISSN-0972-3005.
- 3. Shuba, K.Y.Prathibha, Manjula A. C, Nayana bhat and Suhasini. R., Environment friendly strategy to increase antioxidant content of ‘’SAUROPUS ANDROGYNUS’’, BIOSCAN ,Volume 6.no-4,2011,567-569,0973-7049.
- 4. S. Mohandas, H.D. Sowmya, R. Manjula, K.Y.Prathibha, S. Meenakshi, K.M. Ajay,2011, Development of highly regenerative embryogenic cell suspensions of 'nanjangud rasbale' (syn. 'rasthali', musa, aab, silk subgroup) and transformants with amp gene, Acta Hort. (ISHS) 897:245-253,ISSN 0567-7572.
- 5. M. Sukhada, K.Y.Prathibha, H.D. Soumya, R.M. Ranganath. (2010)The origin and development of secondary somatic embryos in banana cv. Nanjangud rasbale (silk gp. Rasthali, aab). SHS Acta Horticulturae.(ISHS) 865:349-351, ISSN 0567-7572
PAPERS PRESENTED IN NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL SEMINARS:
1. Presented paper entitled Identification of Molecular Marker specific to non flowering off-types in Micropropagated Banana cv. ‘Grand Naine’ in National conference on “Biotechnological Approaches in Medicinal and Aromatic Plants Research’’ on21st and 22nd March 2013 at MSCW.
2. Presented a Paper on “Comparitive study of embryonic and nonembryonic callus of banana ’held at international conference on medicinal plants and herbal products held at Colombo, Srilanka from19-21,December 2011.
3. Presented a Paper on “development of abnormal somatic embryos in banana” at “National conference on Developmental Biology” held at Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore from 15-17, September 2010.
4. Presented a Paper on “ micropropagation and its effect on commercially propagated banana” at international conference on environmental pollution” held at jnana bharathi organised by departement of zoology, Bangalore from 29-31, july2010
5. Presented a poster on histological studies in somatic embryogenesis in banana at national conference on conservation and characterization of crop improvement held at department of biotechnology,university of Udaipur,Rajasthan, 8-10,feb, 2008
6. Presented a Paper on “identification of molecular marker to dwarf offtype banana” at International conference on medicinal plants” held at chiangmai,thailand, from21-24, Nov 2007
1. BOS-GENETICS, 2012-2014,2014- 2016, BANGALOE UNIVERSITY
2. BOS-MICROBIOLOGY, 2013-2015, MYSORE UNIVERSITY
3. BOS-BOTANY, 2012-2013, TUMKUR UNIVERSITY
4. BOE-GENETICS, 2011-14.
5. BOE –BOTANY JAIN COLLEGE: 14-18/03/2011
6. BOE –BOTANY CMR COLLEGE: 2011 MARCH
I S KHAMER FERZANA BANU
Member of Societies / Associations:
- Khamer Ferzana Banu et al (1990) Seed born nature and transmission of C.dematium in chilli. ADV.Plant SC.3 (2); 200-206
- Khamer Ferzana Banu et al(1990). efficacy of physical, chemical , biological method in reducing seed borne incidence in chilli. INT.J. TROPICAL PLANT DISEASES.8:199-127
MRP Sanctioned during 2013-14 project no – MRP (s) 0007/12-13/KABA 027/UGC-SWO.
- MEMBER OF INDIAN SCIENCE CONGRESS.
- BANGALORE BOTANICAL SOCIETY.
DR. SURESH KUMAR C, M.Sc., Ph.D., FCFS., PGDFDE
firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com
- Paper presented on “Applications of Scientific Principles in Forensic Science” in one day Seminar on “Recent trends in Life Sciences” (BIOSUMMIT-2009), held at Government Science College, Tumkur, on 1st March 2009.
- Paper presented on “ Conservation turmeric (Curcuma longa L) using encapsulate shoot buds of variety Suguna” in National Conference on recent trends in aquatic ecology, utility, conservation and sustainable management held at Chikkaballapur, Bangalore on 2nd &3rd , September 2011.
- Paper presented on “Rapid clonal multiplication of turmeric (Curcuma longa L) from vegetative bud of variety Suguna”, Eleventh All India National Conference on Cytology and Genetics held at Bangalore University, Bangalore, from 23-25, January 2012.
- Paper presented on “Micropropagation of turmeric (Curcuma longa L) from vegetative bud of variety Suguna” in National Conference on Biotechnological approaches in Medicinal and Aromatic plants Research held at Maharani’s Science College for Women, Bangalore on 21st and 22nd March 2013.
Member of Societies / Associations:
- Minor Research Project sanctioned by the UGC entitled “Antimicrobial activity of Gymnema sylvestre” R Br. (2014-2015).
- Invited as resource person at Sree Sidaganga First College of Arts, Science & Commerce for Women, Tumkur, to deliver lecture on “Plant Biotechnology”, 13th February 2009.
- Society of Cytologists and Geneticists, India- Life Member
- The Indian Science Congress Association, Calcutta, India.
- Friends Institute of Culture and Society (FICUS)
- Bangalore Botanical Society.
Member of Societies / Associations:
- MEMBER OF INDIAN SCIENCE CONGRESS
- BANGALORE BOTANICAL SOCIETY
Dr.V.LALITHA M.Sc., PhD.,
- Dr.V.LALITHA and Ravessha K.A. 2001. “Botanicals for the management of seed borne pathogenic fungi of paddy”. National seminar on recent trends in plant diseases and management held in Kuvempu University, Shimoga. Award: Third prize for best oral presentation.
- Dr.V.LALITHA and Ravessha K.A. 2001. “Invitro evaluation of the efficacy of plant extracts on important seed borne fungi of paddy”. 2001- National seminar on seed science and technology held at DOS in applied botany and biotechnology, MGM, sponsored by UGC, New Delhi.
- Dr.V.LALITHA and Ravessha K.A. 2001. “Antifungal activity of Solanum torvum against some important seed borne pathogenic fungi of paddy”. 42nd annual conference of AMI held in Gulbarga (Nov9-11).
- Dr.V.LALITHA and Ravessha K.A. 2002. “Invitro antagonism of Trichoderma against some important seed pathogens of paddy”. Asian congress of mycology and plant pathology held at DOS in applied botany and biotechnology, MGM.
- Dr.V.LALITHA and Ravessha K.A. 2003. “Seed mycoflora of some paddy varieties grown in different agro climatic regions of Karnataka. 90th session of Indian science congress association held in University of Bangalore, Bangalore.
- Dr.V.LALITHA and Ravessha K.A. 2003. “Antimicrobial activity of solvent extracts of solanum torvum leaves”. 44th annual conference of association of microbiologists of India held in Dharwad (Nov 12-14).
- Dr.V.LALITHA and Ravessha K.A. 2004. “Effect of culture filtrate of Trichoderma koningii against some important seed borne pathogens of paddy”. 16th Kerala science congress, Kerala (Jan 29-31).
- Dr.V.LALITHA and Ravessha K.A. 2004. “Antifungal activity of Mimusops elengi against some important seed borne pathogenic fungi of paddy”.2004-National seminar on emerging trends in applied botany, seed science and technology. Nov 4-6, Applied botany, University of Mysore.
- Dr.V.LALITHA and Ravessha K.A. 2005. “Antagonistic effect of Trichoderma koningii on important seed borne pathogens of paddy”. National level seminar on recent trends in Plant sciences. Margao, Goa (23rd-24th February).
- Dr.V.LALITHA and Ravessha K.A. 2009. “Fungitoxicity of Polyalthia longifolia against seed borne pathogens of paddy”. National conference on plant biodiversity and bioprospecting” held at the DOS in botany, UOM, Mysore during 16th and 17th March 2009.
- Dr.V.LALITHA and Ravessha K.A. 2009. “Antifungal activity of Polyalthia longifolia (sonn.)Thw. Leaves extract against seed borne pathogens of paddy”. UGC sponsored National conference on “emerging trends in medicinal plants research” held on 8th and 9th October 2009, Department of botany, Maharanis science college for women, Bangalore-01.
- Dr.V.LALITHA and Ravessha K.A. 2013. “Evaluation of antioxidant activity of different extracts of seeds of Psoralea corylifolia.L”. UGC sponsored National conference on “Biotechnological approaches in medicinal and aromatic plants research” held on 21st and 22nd March 2013, Department of botany, Maharanis science college for women, Bangalore-01.
- Dr.V.LALITHA, Kiran. B and Ravessha K.A. 2013. “Invitro evaluation of antifungal activity of oils extracted from medicinal plant against seed borne pathogens”. National conference on frontiers and challenges in chemistry held on oct 10-11, at Don Bosco Institute of Technology, Bangalore.
- Dr.V.LALITHA, Raveesha.K.A and Kiran.B. 2010. Antimicrobial activity of Solanum torvum swart. against important seed borne pathogens of paddy. Iranica Journal of Energy & Environment. 1 (2): 160-164. ISSN: 2079-2115.
- M. Nagaraj,V. Sandhya,G. Supriya,R. Manju, Pranitha Kumari, Shivaji Bole, Dr.V.LALITHA and B. Kiran. 2010. Antioxidant and Antibacterial Activity of Avocado (Persea gratissima Gaertner.) Seed Extract. World Applied Science Journal. 9(6): 695-698. ISSN: 1818-4952.
- Kiran.B, Dr.V.LALITHA and Raveesha.K.A. 2010. Screening Of Seven Medicinal Plants For Antifungal Activity Against Seed Borne Fungi Of Maize Seeds. African Journal of Basic & Applied Sciences. 2 (3-4): 99-103, ISSN: 2079-2034.
- Shivaji.B. Bole 2010. , Manju.R , Nagaraj.M , Sandhya.V , Supriya.G , Pranitha Kumari , Kiran.B and Dr.V.LALITHA2010. Comparative Study Of Antibacterial And Antioxidant Activity Of Plant Extract - Amla [Phyllanthus Emblica L.] Tulsi [Ocimum Tenuiflorum L.] Neem [Azadirachta Indica A.Juss]. Pharmacophore. Vol. 1 (3), 178-183. ISSN: 2229-5402
- Dr.V.LALITHA, Kiran.B and Raveesha.K.A. 2011. Invitro evaluation of Mimusops elengi L. plant extract for antibacterial activity and phytochemical analysis. Pharmacophore. 2(1): 78-85. ISSN: 2229-5402.
- Dr.V.LALITHA, Kiran.B and Raveesha.K.A. 2011. Antifungal activity of Polyalthia longifolia (Sonn.) Thw. against seed borne fungi of Paddy (Oryza sativa. L). Journal of Phytology. 3(5): 04-08. . ISSN: 2075-6240.
- Dr.V.LALITHA, Kiran.B and Raveesha.K.A. 2011. Antifungal and Antibacterial Potentiality Of Six Essential Oils Extracted From Plant Source. International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology. 3(4): 3029- 3038. ISSN: 0975-5462.
- Kiran.B, Dr.V.LALITHA and Raveesha.K.A. 2011. In Vitro Evaluation Of Aqueous and Solvent Extract Of Tribulus Terrestris L. Leaf Against Human Bacteria. International Journal of Pharm tech research vol3 (3):1897-1903. ISSN: 0974-4304.
- Kiran.B, Dr.V.LALITHA and Raveesha.K.A. 2011. Antifungal and growth promoting potentiality of seeds of Psoralea corylifolia L. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences. 2(3):564-573.ISSN:0975-8585.
- Kiran.B, Rwivoo Baruah ,Rakshit Ojha, Dr.V.LALITHA and Raveesha.K.A.2011 Antibacterial and antioxidant activity of Coffea benghalensis Roxb.ex Schult. fruit against human bacteria. . Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences. 2(3): 856-865. ISSN: 0975-8585.
- Kiran.B, Dr.V.LALITHA and Raveesha. K.A.2011. In vitro evaluation of antifungal activity of Psoralea corylifolia L. (seeds) and its different fractions on seed borne fungi of maize. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research. 3(4):542-550.ISSN:0975-7384.
- Kiran.B, Dr.V.LALITHA and Raveesha.K.A.2011. Screening of different solvent extracts for antifungal activity of seeds of Psoralea corylifolia L. against important seed borne Aspergillus species of Maize. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Drug Research 3(3):241-245.ISSN:0975-248X.
- Kiran.B, Dr.V.LALITHA and Raveesha.K.A.2011. Antifungal activity of aqueous and solvent extracts of seeds of Psoralea corylifolia L. against seed borne fungi of maize. International Journal of Drug Discovery and Herbal Research. Pharmacy & Life science 2(10):1133-1136. ISSN: 0976-7126.
- Kiran.B, Dr.V.LALITHA and Raveesha.K.A. 2012 In Vitro Evaluation of Antifungal Activity of Bioactive Compound 2h-Furo[2,3-H]-1-Benzopyran-2-one Against Seed Borne Fungi of Maize. International Journal of Drug Development & Research. 4(1): 67-71: ISSN: 0975-9344.
- Kiran.B, Dr.V.LALITHA and Raveesha.K.A. 2011. Antifungal activity of bioactive compound of seeds of Psorelea corylifolia L. against seed borne fusarium species of maize. Journal of applied pharmaceutical science. Vol 01(08):161-164. ISSN: 2231-3354.
- Kiran.B, Dr.V.LALITHA and Raveesha.K.A. 2011. Invitro evaluation of aqueous seed extract of Psoralea corylifolia L on seed germination and seedling vigour of maize. Journal of applied pharmaceutical science. Vol 01(08):128-130. ISSN: 2231-3354.
- Kiran.B, Dr.V.LALITHA and Raveesha.K.A. 2012. Antibacterial activity of bioactive compound isolated from seeds of Psoralea corylifolia L. against Gram Positive and Gram Negative Bacterial species. JOURNAL OF PHARMACY RESEARCH. 5(1):144-146.ISSN: 0974-6943.
- Kiran.B, Dr.V.LALITHA and Raveesha.K.A. 2012. Evaluation of aqueous extract of seeds of Psoralea corylifolia L. on seed mycoflora, seed germination and seedling vigour of maize seeds. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF LIFE SCIENCE AND PHARMA RESEARCH. 2(2): 40-45. ISSN: 2250-0450.
- Kiran.B, Dr.V.LALITHA and Raveesha.K.A. 2012. In Vitro Potential of Antibacterial Activity of 2h-Furo[2,3-H]-1-Benzopyran-2-one Against Gram Negative Human Bacteria. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical research. 5(2): 109-111. ISSN: 0974-2441.
- Kiran.B, Rakshit ojha, Rwivoo baruah,Dr.V.LALITHA and Raveesha.K.A. 2012. Antibacterial activity of bioactive compound isolated from fruits of Coffea benghalensis Rox.ex schult. Journal of Scientific Research in Pharmacy. 1(4):6-11. ISSN: 2277-9469.
- Dr.V.LALITHA, Kiran.B and Raveesha.K.A. 2012. Antifungal Activity Of Trichoderma Koningii Oudm. Against Seed Borne Fungal Species Of Paddy. International Journal of innovations in Bio-sciences. Vol. 2(4):176-180. ISSN: 2277-2367.
- Harishekar.M.B, Kiran.B,Dr.V.LALITHA and Raveesha.K.A.2012 Investigation Of Antifungal Activity Of Cicer Arietinum L. Leaves Against Important Seed Borne Fungi. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics. 2(3): 164-166. ISSN: 2250-1177.
- Kiran.B, Dr.V.LALITHA and Raveesha.K.A. 2012. In Vitro Evaluation Of Antibacterial Activity Of Anisomeles Malabarica (L.)Sims Leaf Against Important Soil Borne Bacteria. World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 1(4): 1077-1083.ISSN: 2277-7105.
- Kiran.B, Dr.V.LALITHA and Raveesha.K.A. 2012. Antimicrobial And Protein Content Evaluation Of Maize Seeds Treated With Bioactive Compound 2h-Furo[2,3-H]-1-Benzopyran-2-One Isolated From Seeds Of Psoralea Corylifolia L. Journal of Scientific Research in Pharmacy. 1(2): 73-76. ISSN: 2277-9469.
- Kiran.B, Dr.V.LALITHA and Raveesha.K.A. 2012. Investigation of antifungal potentiality of aqueous extract of Millingtonia hortensis linn leaves against Aspergillus and Fusarium species of maize. International journal of Institutional pharmacy and life science 2(3):1-6. ISSN: 2249-6807.
- Dr.V.LALITHA, Kiran.B and Raveesha.K.A. 2012. Antifungal activity of Trichoderma koningii oudm against seed borne fungal species of paddy. International journal of innovations in bioscience vol2 (4):176-180. ISSN: 2277-2367.
- Dr.V.LALITHA, Kiran.B and Raveesha.K.A. 2013. Antibacterial and antifungal activity of aqueous extract of Centella asiatica L against some important fungal and bacterial species. World J of Pharmacy and pharmaceutical science vol 2(6): 6744-6752. ISSN: 2278-4357.
- Kiran.B, Dr.V.LALITHA and Raveesha.K.A. 2013. Psoralea Corylifolia L. A Potent Medicinal Plant with Broad Spectrum of Medicinal Properties. International Journal of Fundamental & Applied Sciences. 2(1): 20-22.ISSN: 2278-1404.
- Kiran.B, Dr.V.LALITHA and Raveesha.K.A. 2013. Insecticidal Activity of Bioactive Compound: 2H-Furo [2, 3-H]-1-Benzopyran-2-One, Isolated Form Seeds of Psoralea Corylifolia L against Sitophilus Oryzae. Asian Journal of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2(15) 2012, 4-6.: ISSN: 2249-622X.
- Kiran.B, Sakshi bhushan,Dr.V.LALITHA and Raveesha.K.A. 2014. Antibacterial efficiency of Cyperus esculentus.L tubers (nutlets) against important species of bacteria. World journal of Pharmacy and pharmaceutical science. 3(2):1250-1259. ISSN: 2278-4357.
- Kiran.B, Dr.V.LALITHA and Raveesha.K.A. 2014. In vitro evolution of antifungal, seed germination and seedling vigor of aqueous seed extract of Psoralea corylifolia L. against maize seeds. International Journal of medicine and pharmaceutical research. Vol2 (3): 639-642.
- Kiran.B, Dr.V.LALITHA and Raveesha.K.A. 2014. Isolation and identification of the bioactive compound 2H-Furo (2,3-H)-1-Benzopyran-2-0ne for antifungal activity against Fusarium species of maize seeds. World J of pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences. Vol 3(5):574-580.