1. Publication of revised editions of District Gazetteer
volumes and State Gazetteer volumes both in Kannada and English.
2. Publication of revised edition of 'A Hand Book of Karnataka'
both in Kannada and English.
3. Publication of Taluk Gazetteers of Karnataka State both in
English and Kannada.
4. Special Publication like Tourism Gazetteer, A Journey from
Madras through the countries of Mysore, Canara and Malabar(reprint) in three
volumes by Sir Francis Buchanan.
5. Scanning and reprinting of rare gazetteer volumes which are
- Karnataka Gazetteer Department was established during the
- The department has brought out all the 20 district
Gazetteers in English. The publication of the revised district Gazetteers is in
- Karnataka is the first State in the country to publish the
State Gazetteers in two parts in English (1982 & 1983) and three parts in
Kannada (1984 to 1986).
- Decennial supplements to the Karnataka State volume were
published in 1994 (English) and 1996 (Kannada).
- A Handbook of Karnataka both in English and Kannada was
published in 1996. The revised edition was published in 2001, 2005 and 2010 in
- From 1992 the department has started publishing district
Gazetteers in Kannada. Kodagu, Dharwad, Bijapur, Gulbarga, Mandya, Kolar,
Dakshina Kannada and Udupi(ready for release) district Gazetteers have so far
been brought out till date.
- Translated versions of district Gazetteers (which were
published since 1992). Kodagu ,Dharwad, Bijapur, Gulbarga, Mandya, and Dakshina
Kannada(ready for release) have been brought out respectively.
- Under the Reprint scheme, the department has brought out
Pre-independence gazetteers - Dharwad, Kanara, and Belgaum (James M. Campbell),
South Canara(John Sturrock and Harold A. Stuart), Bellary(John Kelsall), Mysore
and Coorg in three volumes(B.L.Rice)
- website address: http://karunadu.gov.in/gazetteer ,
- Get in touch us at email: kargaz@.nic.in,