Information, Education & Communication (IEC)
The Government of India launched Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM) on 3-12-2005 to cope with massive problems that have emerged as a result of rapid urban growth, it has become imperative to draw up a coherent urbanization policy / strategy to implement projects in selected cities on Mission mode. The Sub-Mission-II of the JNNURM has two components;
- Basic Services to the Urban Poor (BSUP), which addresses the requirement of poor people residing in 63 select cities of the country.
- The Integrated Housing and Slum Development Programme (IHSDP) are for the cities not covered by the BSUP component of JNNURM.
Under these projects of GOI, it was highly felt that solely by building houses and infrastructure for slum community will not uplift them but there is a need for Information, Education and Communication (IEC) for increased level of awareness among the slum dwellers. These community needs to be aware of not only on skill sets but on general issues/subjects which will help them to improve their income, life styles and surrounding environment. With this approach government is trying to provide good environment for slum communities to lead an improved and qualitative life. It is also felt that there is need to generate awareness amongst the non-targeted section so as to improve the urban policy and highlight how the concerns of urban poor are very relevant to them.
The Karntaka Slum Development Board under the first stage proposes to implement the IEC Activities in BSUP- IHSDP cities and towns under this project with following objectives;
- To improve the quality of life of slum residents,
- To increase the standard of Health, Education and Community life in the slums,
- To provide sustainable improvements in the standards of Living, Social Status, Health, Education etc.
- To provide skill up gradation / increase potential income of people living in slums and
- To take up Health promotional programmes like MCH, FW and Nutritional programmes and to promote Family Planning.
- To reduce gender disparity, drug addiction etc.
For List of NGO’s selected under IHSDP click here.