SPECIAL DEVELOPMENT PLAN (SDP)
Planning, Programme Monitoring and Statistics Development
KSTePS is coordinating the implementation of SDP, an initiative towards achieving balanced development in the regions of disparity in the State as proposed by the High Powered Committee for Redressal of Regional Imbalances (HPCRRI). Fourteen different agencies have been involved in implementing various SDP programs, besides Agastya, which was responsible for Science Education Programs for High Schools such as Science on Wheels, Science Centres, LIB and RLIB.
- SDP Fellowships: In order to encourage students to pursue higher education in science, KSTA has awarded about 800 fellowships for science graduate students during the year.
- Science and Technology Conference: KSTA organised Science and Technology annual conference in Kalaburagi on Climate Change, Energy and Environment. About 600 delegated participated in this conference.
- Mini Science Resource Centres:Tenders have been floated for establishment of six mini science resource centres in the High Schools of Pavagada, Hosadurga, Huskur in Malavalli, Kodihalli in Kanakapura, Ramapura in Kollegala and Somanahalli in Kadur Taluks.
- Agriculture, Man and Environment (AME) Foundation: AME foundation in association with KSTePS, is involved in S & T based sustainable dry farming approaches for improving farm livelihood through empowering Farmer Field School Animal health camps Azolla cultivation Reintroduced Same literate farm youth on alternative farm practices. This project has been implemented in 10 villages each in Chintamani and Bangarpet Taluks of Kolar District.
- Science Bhavan in Koppal: Establishment of a Science Bhavan in Koppal by district administration in association with KSTePS is under progress. This centre will be later developed as Sub-regional Science Centre.
- Sub-Regional Science Centre, Yadgir: 10 acres of land has been provided by the district administration for establishment of Sub-regional Science Centre. Action plan is being prepared for the same.
Strengthening and upgradation of Science Centres have also been taken up SDP Programs for Sub-Regional Science Centres in Bidar, Raichur and Bellary. Work is under progress.
- Vijnana Vahini Program: Swamy Vivekananda Youth Movement (SVYM), H.D. Kote, Mysore has established centre of innovation and resource centre. The resource centre would provide library and training facilities to all students and teachers in the region. SVYM is also arranging Community Awareness Program through radio programs to take science to the door step of every house hold to create awareness about the role of science in everyday life.Centre for Innovation is a platform for all students, teachers and community members with innovative ideas which they would like to experiment or do further research on. The Centre promotes creativity and imagination among them. The Centre for Innovation has following components:
- Science Laboratory facilities – The science laboratory facilities include necessary facilities and infrastructure to demonstrate any experiment relevant to the curriculum up to 10th standard. These facilities are freely accessible by any teacher or student from the Government schools.
- Exploratory Park – The Exploratory Park is a Science Park to raise more questions in everyone’s mind through simple activities which challenge the imagination of the people. The park is equipped with simple hands-on activities based on Science and Mathematics. Every visitor is encouraged to ask as many questions as possible! All the activities are close to their real life. The Exploratory Park is presently equipped with 65 outdoor activities along with 2 indoor galleries spread over an area of 1 acre. Low-cost options were exercised during the setting up of the science park to focus on the students’ experience.
In addition to these, training programs and outreach programs have been organised under special development plan to popularise science and technology programs in the State.