Why to Preserve Lakes:
necessity of lake preservation is more pronounced in the context of urbanization, when city takes more and more villages into its foldas in case of ever- growing Bangalore City. Urbanization leads to conversion of agricultural lands to non-agricultural purposes. But it doesnot mean that the lakes that irrigated these lands have lost their utility to the community.
- Lakes have a greater role to play in urbanized areas to capture rainwater efficiently to facilitate ground water recharge, which is anabsolute requirement.
- Lakes are the lung spaces of a city and climate moderators adding to thermal ambience.
- Lakes have a direct bearing on the quality of life in urban areas.
- Lakes support aquatic and semi-aquatic eco-systems and conservation of lakes is important to conserve biodiversity of flora andfauna unique to the aquatic/wetland ecosystems. Local and migratory birds depend on these lakes for food and perching.
- Proper maintenance of lake series and connected Raja Kaluves /Strom Water drainages
will prevent flooding of areas as ishappening in the city in an increased manner in recent years.
- Lakes have a great recreational value in urban setting.